Talk to Brent:

Picture
Apologies for my inactivity! It's likely you didn't notice, since few people are reading my blog! Thus, I'm going to start posting questions here to try and get some confirmation that more of you are visiting!

The panel on the left is from the rough draft of a Tantum Gray page I sent to Steven today (+200 bonus points to Steven who already does comment on my blog! Hooray!). My art was a little slow last week because of illness, but I did draw another wild critter you can see at deviantART!

Here is my question, which I hope you will answer in the comments and which I promise to respond to: Who is your favorite super hero?

I have several answers to this question, but as a child my favorite was always Spider-Man! Needless to say, the trailer that came out a few days ago for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (thank goodness they decided against a cheesy subtitle) left me drooling on my computer screen and speculating wildly! Surprisingly, my wife Erika did not have the same reaction. Oh, well. At least I know she'll go and watch it with me on opening day!

Here is a link to the trailer if you haven't seen it:
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer
And please tell me about your favorite super heroes!

Comments

Lartovio
12/09/2013 3:56pm

My favorite superhero is Spider-Man, hands down, but I also love Batman and his crew!

12/09/2013 4:00pm

Yay! Congrats on being the first to post and having excellent taste in super-heroes! I am also a Batman fan--I love the idea of super heroes without super powers! Truthfully, I like Nightwing and Batgirl a little better than Batman--just because they don't brood quite as much!

Michelle
12/09/2013 5:13pm

A favorite huh... based on movies or just anything? Does Thor count? I haven't gotten to see the new movie yet but I like Thor a lot! I must also say that the Spider Man 2 trailer looks like it could be way better than the first movie!! Wahoo!!

12/09/2013 7:22pm

Thor definitely counts! I didn't know much about Thor until the Marvel movies, but I also like him a lot! And I haven't had a chance to see Thor 2 either--we should watch it together sometime (I'm assuming I'm talking to my sister, Michelle--if you're another Michelle it may be more difficult to get together to watch Thor 2!).

Jay
12/09/2013 6:12pm

How about Velma from Scooby Doo. I mean honestly, she's brilliant and she keeps her anatomical proportions real.

Wolverine is my favorite. I like Marvel over D.C. in general because they're less Dudley do right authoritative, and he has a nice unpredictable edge. He has a lot of internal conflict, which is interesting in a character.

12/09/2013 7:28pm

I'm starting to sound like I just agree with what everyone else says, but I do so far! Velma's physique is radically normal in a world where most comic and cartoon women--and even photoshopped magazine women--have wildly unrealistic body proportions!

I'm also a Wolverine fan, and I do prefer Marvel. I've made strides to become a DC fan as well, but overall the Marvel universe has more stories and characters that I relate to. Thanks Jay!

Miranda
12/09/2013 7:54pm

The X-men as animation mostly because it had tons of girl supers. I hate the live action movies. Also, the Batman from the 90s that was on fox. Now as a mom I love Elastigirl.

12/10/2013 1:27pm

Good choices! I can understand not being into the live action movies, but both of those cartoons are classics and are the main way I was introduced to both Batman and X-Men. As far as super hero groups, the X-Men are definitely my favorite in part because of their diversity. I think there should be more women super heroes, and Elastigirl is a great newer addition to the ranks of super females! Thanks for the comment!

Steven Walters
12/09/2013 9:02pm

Captain America for Marvel. Green Arrow for DC. I have an affinity to blonde superheroes.

12/10/2013 1:31pm

You do love blonde superheroes! Someday Seahawk will be on everyone's favorite blonde super hero list! I'm a fan of both Captain America and Green Arrow, but I like Green Arrow a bit more--I have a thing for hoods and archery!

Trish
12/09/2013 10:15pm

My favorites are Iron Man - because who does not love a rich man who is totally in love with himself. And Wolverine - because we are the same height - He does have a few pounds on me though..

12/10/2013 1:36pm

I wasn't very familiar with Iron Man until his movies started coming out, and now I'm totally with you! He has the perfect mix of selfishness and selflessness that make him so entertaining and interesting--plus his suits are awesome!

And yes, Wolverine is amazing! He's not always portrayed to be as short as he really is, but his height is something I like about the character too! Factoring in the metal skeleton, I'd guess he has more than just a few pounds on you!

Trish
12/31/2013 7:49pm

Yeah maybe, and if you have not see Hulk Vs. Wolverine, you should.

Rasha
12/09/2013 11:57pm

I'm not really that much of an avid superhero fan to be honest, I only know a few, but definately my favourite is Batman (and always has been) - because he's just a regular guy, only he's rich lol.
I mean he has no superpowers but he still manages to confront super villains (some of whom are very disturbing) - which is another reason I like Batman

12/10/2013 1:41pm

I agree with you 100% on Batman! I think he may be the most fascinating of all the mainstream super heroes! Thanks for your comment!

Missvirginia
12/10/2013 6:49am

Wow, a favourite, I'm not entirely sure. I'm leaning towards Spider-Man, but I like the patriotism of Captain America, but I also like the dark justice of Batman, but I also like Storm of the X-Men. Agh, I can't pick! I guess those will be my top 4 ;P

12/10/2013 1:47pm

I have the same problem when choosing a favorite! I only listed one at the top, but it's really more of a tie between Spider-Man, the Ninja Turtles, Hellboy, and the X-Men for me!

As a kid Storm was one of my lesser favorites on the X-Men, but I've been reading a lot of X-Men books over the past few years and she has become one of my very favorites! Do you like that her mohawk hairstyle returned? I love it, but not everyone does!

Missvirginia
12/11/2013 11:23am

I'm not an avid comic reader, most of what I know comes from the encyclopedias Marvel puts out about their characters and their arcs, plus my sister (she's more of the comic person), and the animated series I watched as a kid. I do know what you're referring to though with the mo-hawk. XD I don't really like that hairstyle in general, and thinking of her character I don't really like how that portrays her so to speak. I would be one of the ones that's not fond of it. ^^;

Devin
12/10/2013 7:05am

I always liked the green lantern power - you could do anything your imagination let you.

12/10/2013 1:49pm

Seriously! My Green Lantern figure was one of my favorites as a kid, but I didn't know much about his powers--little did I know that he pretty much has the best power set ever!

Zak
12/10/2013 7:43am

Dude...picking a favorite superhero is like picking what I want for dinner on any given night. It is my current life situation that always dictates who it is kind of like whatever nutrients my body is craving at the time I need to eat. I guess the big 3 for me though are Wolverine, Gambit and Superman w/ a side of Batman. I can pretty much go all "fangirl" for any of these particular heroes.

12/10/2013 1:54pm

Ha ha! All good choices, and they make me go "fangirl" as well! Sometimes I have a hard time relating to Superman. I thought it was because he was too powerful, but I've found that it really just depends on the story and depiction of him. Lately I've found that he's a lot more interesting than I gave him credit for!

12/10/2013 9:44am

I agree with Zak about it being dependent on current life situation. Right now, I'm fangirling excessively over Captain America and I think a lot of this is because of the symbol he is. I feel like, without getting into a total political debate here, that what Cap stands for is something we are sorely lacking these days.

Overall though, I've always liked Batman and thought he was the best conceived superhero to come from DC. And technically he's not a superhero because he has no powers. That actually bumped him up in my eyes.

Growing up, I really enjoyed reading Excalibur and X-Men and I gravitated towards Meggan and Storm, respectively. As I got older, I really started to like Psylocke and her character arc during the Jim Lee/Chris Claremont era was of particular interest to me.

I have a love/hate relationship with many of the superhero movies that have come out too.

12/10/2013 2:03pm

Great points! I always get excited about almost any super hero movie because I like to compare and contrast them to the stories in the comics and elsewhere. That being said, they can be incredibly disappointing at times!

I like what you said about Captain America. Not as many super heroes stand for anything specific anymore--especially anything important. And I also agree that Batman is by far DC's best hero!

I haven't read much Excalibur, so I'm not very familiar with Meggan. I am a huge Nightcrawler fan, though, so maybe I need to get reading! I also love Storm and Psylocke. I love their designs--purple hair is the best--and they have complicated personalities and backgrounds. I think X-Men has some of the best female super heroes!

Joe
12/10/2013 5:22pm

Does the Doctor Count? He wouldn't stand much in a physical fight, and doesn't have any powers (unless you count regeneration). But he uses his cleverness and intelligence to save the day and he's always good for a laugh.

On a more traditional line of thought it's hard to chose there all great. I juggle between Spider man, Wolverine, Gambit, and Superman.

12/10/2013 11:05pm

Absolutely! I have a pretty wide definition of "super hero" so I'm happy to include the Doctor! And regeneration has got to be a super power--how old is the Doctor at this point? Yes, he's super!

Blake
12/10/2013 7:34pm

If you count the Ninja Turtles they were my favorite. If not then Batman and all the cool x-men, not the stupid ones.

12/10/2013 11:09pm

Of course! What better power is there than being a mutant turtle?

How do I decide which ones are the "cool" X-Men? Iceman must be "cool" (How cool is he? Ice cold!) but "stupid"--I'm not coming up with any puns for that one. Maybe in the morning!

12/11/2013 3:42pm

I'm stuck between Spider-Man with his themes of responsibility and how difficult it can be to do the right thing, and Nightwing with his story of growth, and not letting tragedy define you.

12/11/2013 4:00pm

We are so alike! Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel hero and Nightwing is my favorite DC--I think personality wise they have a lot in common.

12/12/2013 7:39am

Ninja Turtles Dude! Totally radioactive, they talk cool and they have famous Artist names.

12/12/2013 4:22pm

I am so with you! I don't know how such a crazy concept became so popular, but it is my dream to draw Ninja Turtles comics!

timbertooth
12/18/2013 2:25pm

Definitely Iron man. Love his sense of humour and overall ingenuity... and he's pretty handsome, too! xD

12/18/2013 3:59pm

Great choice! I'm a big fan of the Iron Man movies, and I think he's the star of Avengers as well!

02/03/2017 10:11am

The main catch is you must be on the correct part of the guide. Country ranges just, please. In any case, you'd be astonished with respect to what constitutes "provincial". Did you think Powell was country.